Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A few days ago I was contacted by someone who I had not seen in about five years -- a person who had caused a great deal of hurt and turmoil in my life about 10 years before that.

Five years ago my attitude towards this individual was bitter. My retribution was to spew out hateful words and to wallow in my wounded pride. When I asked Jesus into my heart, however, His grace showed me how to (and gave me the strength to) forgive the person. As a result, my reaction to them was completely different when they contacted me a few days ago: I understood that their actions all those years ago came from a place of deep hurt (one that they still are striving to fill), and I responded to them in a loving manner.

I'm not sure if my loving response to this individual had any great impact on them (our contact was limited), even though I hope that God used it to draw them nearer to Him. What I do know for certain, though, is that God used it to strengthen me and give me peace. Five years ago, an encounter with this person---one that I reacted to with hate---left me angry and in a dark place for days. Just a few days ago, an encounter with them---one that I reacted to with love---left me feeling joyful and full of gratitude.

Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment