Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I'm tired. Actually, a more accurate word would be exhausted.

Last Thursday my daughter ran into a tree while sledding, breaking both of the lower bones in her left leg (tibia and fibula). As one can guess, the physical pain associated with this injury is intense -- and it is compounded by the doctor's projection that Abigail will spend six weeks in a cast (an especially cruel sentence for a flittery, fluttery, dance-everywhere-you-go kind of girl).

For the past several days I have been subject to the discomfort of my child, I have slept very little, I have been limited in my ability to just hop in the car and "take care of business," and I have had to act as full-time nurse for a child who's just about unable to do anything for herself.

Just a short while ago, this type of situation would have been my undoing. But I thank God that--because of the lessons that He has lovingly taught me--I am able to look past my situation and instead focus on His grace! God has provided help though my (amazing) son, my family, and my friends; He has comforted Abigail (a blessing that cannot be overstated, especially from the mother's viewpoint); He has provided a wonderful insurance plan, which means there will be no worries about how to pay for the Emergency Room visit and subsequent follow-up visits with the orthopedic doctor; and He has reached down to instill in me a sense of peace throughout this entire situation.

There is no denying that I am exhausted; but more importantly, I am loved, I have been forgiven, I am blessed, and I am thankful.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:4-7

-Trish Gerstel

No comments:

Post a Comment