Monday, November 24, 2014

Boy has it been a Monday!

After an extremely full weekend, I was not at all rested when I woke up to face a day of homeschooling, chores, and time at the Berlin Community Food Closet (BCFC). Sadly, I didn't meet the challenge in the proper way (quiet time in God's Word and praying to Him for guidance) but instead tried to plow through it on my own -- never a good choice.
 
Homeschooling difficulties came almost as soon as we started (such difficulties are expected when you have an autistic child, but they are much better handled when you've taken the time to connect with the Lord and experience His peace), and each of my chores seemed to hit some kind of bump. In addition, I knew that multiple boxes and bags of generous food donations were at the church, waiting to be moved to Max Hall (where the BCFC is located) -- and my back was beginning to act up.

As you might have guessed, my attitude mirrored my "luck" as the day wore on; and it hit its peak when I got to the church and realized that I had left the house without my BCFC keys.
 
Thankfully, while toting the above-mentioned boxes to the BCFC, the Spirit moved me to pray. "Lord, please show me your hand at work in all of this, because I'm having a really hard time seeing it!" And did He ever.
 
Three individual were waiting at the BCFC when I arrived, two men and an older woman. Both gentlemen offered to help carry in the donations (my back was extremely grateful!), and we immediately we discovered that within those bags and boxes lay absolutely everything that was needed to supply everyone with three days' worth of food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner); there was no need for me to run back to my house for my keys, or to bug Pastor Matt for his set of keys.

I was my own worst enemy today: I was the one who was prideful ("I'll bulldoze through") instead of humble ("I can't do this - only God can!"), and I was the one who let circumstances take hold of my attitude and drive it into the ground. But despite all of that, God reached out with His grace. His Spirit moved me to turn toward Him so that He could show me His ever-present love.

God is good!

-Trish Gerstel

No comments:

Post a Comment